Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cathedral of Christ the King: A Day In The Life


Forty-five years ago The Beatles released a song entitled “A Day In The Life.” The first line of the song starts out: I read the news today….

Well, I hope you read your Georgia Bulletin this week. The newspaper’s staff did a Day In The Life project at the Cathedral of Christ the King, a Peachtree Road landmark and an archdiocesan treasure. They are in the midst of celebrating their 75th anniversary.

On Friday, November 4, I spent the day going between the church and school trying to capture images of a typical day at the Buckhead parish. For someone who has photographed numerous Masses, ordinations and events at the cathedral over the years, the Day In The Life project gave me the opportunity to see that there is far more that goes on at the Cathedral of Christ the King beyond the normal things that happen on a given day. 

That day was the most gorgeous fall day a photographer could have ever asked for. I started with the school’s morning car pool that begins at 7:15 a.m., and I ended with evening Mass in the school’s D’Youville Chapel. I spent 11 hours there.

I took just over 300 photos. With the help of my editors, it was narrowed down to a final edit of 17 photos across four pages, which will appear in the March 15 issue of the paper. Staff writer Andrew Nelson provided the text to accompany the photos and our graphic designer Tom Shulte produced the layout.

On Thursday there will also be a slideshow of more images on our website (http://www.georgiabulletin.org/photos/).
  
Michael Alexander, Staff Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment